Help the people of Bradford stay warm this winter - and save lives
In Bradford , 33 out of every 250 households are in fuel poverty and each year in the city around 200 more people die in winter than they do during the warmer months.
The Warm Homes, Healthy People programme runs every year to help keep people in Bradford warm in winter by providing support and funding for those who are in need. But the funding for this crucial programme has now run out - and we need your support to keep the Warm Homes, Healthy People programme running.
We hope to raise at least £25,000 to fund support and advice for people who are in debt with their energy providers and to provide additional heaters, meter tokens, hats, gloves and blankets for those who need them.
For a donation of just £10, you could gifting someone a blanket that will keep them warm over the winter.
Why is it important to stay warm?
Research shows that cold and damp housing can have a direct impact on people's health - particularly the most vulnerable people in our community.
- Increase in cardiovascular events such as thrombosis (blood clots), heart attacks and strokes
- Lowers resistance to respiratory infections such as chest infections and pneumonia
- Dampness can increase the growth of mould, which can cause asthma and respiratory infections
- In 2014/15, 78% more people died from respiratory illness in winter versus summer
- Increase in mental health problems due to social isolation and poor living standards.
In Britain, a cold spell of weather in a mild winter is followed by:
- Two days later a sudden rise in heart attacks
- Five days later a big rise in the number of strokes
- 12 days later a rise in respiratory illness.
Who you will be helping
The Warm Homes, Healthy People programme has been helping people in Bradford stay warm for the past five years. The money raised will provide help across the city including draft proofing, advice on energy efficiency, thermostatic radiator valves, insulation and even new boilers.
Here are some stories from the people Warm Homes, Healthy People advisers have already helped. You could help even more people like this by donating today.
The Warm Homes Healthy People Partnership is a cross-Bradford collaboration working to tackle fuel poverty and support vulnerable people.
- 1044 service users have accessed support directly through our Winter Warmth work
- 1640 Interventions have taken place
- 2735 beneficiaries have benefitted from these interventions as a minimum.
The partnership consists of the following partners:
Inspired Neighbourhoods CIC
Age UK Bradford & District
HALE - Health Action Local Engagement
Citizens Advice Bureau
Community Advice Network
Bradford Community Fund
Bradford Environmental Action Trust (BEAT)