New stretch target
If I was to successfully reach my initial target and overfund then a:-
£1000 stretch target would raise enough to cover
- My air fare to Madrid to compete at the European Championships
- To purchase a travel bike bag and pay for the cost to transport my bike safely to the European Championships
- Have my race bike serviced
- .Pay the membership fee to join Plymouth Triathlon Club to gain the training support I need.
£1500 stretch target would raise enough to cover
- A bike fit (£200)
- Purchase triathlon specific kit (Shoes- and helmet- £200)
- Cover entry fee to the qualification race to qualify for the World Championship and travel costs
My name is Nicola Noble and I'm from Plymouth in Devon, UK.
I have recently qualified to represent Great Britain Age Group to compete at the European Championships in the Sprint Duathlon. This event is being held in Alcobendas, Spain on the 26th April 2015.
I'm a second year Occupational Therapy Student at Plymouth University and applied for the Sports Scholarship, hoping I would be accepted and receive the funding I need. Unfortunately I missed the deadline as this was before my qualification race and consequently have no funding to help me achieve my dreams to compete for Great Britain.
To have this great opportunity to represent my country I have to self fund completely.
My project target is £500, which is half of the total cost of what I actually need to compete.
Why I need your help
I am a full time student and work 2 days a week within the NHS as a Health Care Assistant.
As you can imagine, most students struggle to afford to pay rent, bills and food costs, I have to struggle with those normal things and then have to find the money to afford to enter races, travel costs, race licenses, gym membership, kit, nutrition, bike maintanance and equipment.
Despite these difficulties I have managed to succeed in my sports and have smashed all my Personal Best Times in the 3k, 5K, 10k and half marathon events last year.
I started road racing at the start of last year and went from a novice cat 4 race license to cat 2 race license within a couple of months, beating women that have been training and racing for years.
What topped off my successes last year was that in October I qualified to represent Great Britain at the Althorp Duathlon coming second in my age group despite being ill with a chest infection that week (just imagine what I could do 100% fit!)
Where your pledges will go
GB age group representation is not funded, and thats why I need your help to help me afford:-
- Race Kit (Trisuit has been funded by Plymouth University School of Health Professions)
- Race Entry
I estimate the cost of this would be about £1000 at the bare minimum and I intend to fund half of this myself for flights and travel costs (by working, family donations and selling off things I own).
If I was to successfully fund my project and overfund then this would enable me to:
- have my bike serviced
- have a bike fit
- upgrade equipment
- work less and train more
- pay for entry and transport costs for World Championships Qualification Race (held in Nottingham in March)
In return, I am able to provide some rewards for pledging to support me ranging from a simple thank you tweet to day passes at the Devonshire Virgin Active Gym. I will update you all on my progress via email and you will also be able to follow me on social media such as twitter and Instagram.
I was brought up by my parents to embrace all sporting activities and other extra curricular activities (ballet, theatre, Girl Guides, Air Cadets, Duke of Edinburgh, Ten Tors). With encouragement from my teachers as St Peters RC, Notre Dame RC and St Bonifaces RC School, I have been able to compete for them and progress with many different sports as something that was fun and enjoyable.
My dad was a successful club cyclist in the 50's and held the local records. My half brothers represented Great Britain in the 1984 Olympic Games in the Track Pursuit and also the Milk Race. My 3 brothers are also cyclists, one was the South West Cyclo Cross Champion and the other 2 enjoy enduro and downhill cycling. My mum, dad and little sister attend the local parkrun with myself.
I would like to thank:
- Plymvalley parkrun for giving me a platform to enjoy competing each week with a little fun thrown in http://www.parkrun.org.uk/plymvalley/
- Sweatshop Plymouth for encouraging me to run, laughter and making some great new friendshttp://runhub.sweatshop.co.uk/community/sweatshop-running-community/
- Plymouth University Cycling Club for also again making cycling enjoyable and providing support for the BUCS events https://www.facebook.com/UniversityOfPlymouthCycling
- Rockets and Rascals-Plymouth, for the best pre and post ride food and banter http://www.rocketsandrascals.com/
- Family, friends, work collegues, university friends and even to all those haters :)
I will keep you updated with my progress and will be having a fundraising auction (with tea/cake/beers) in the forthcoming weeks which you are all invited to.
Many thanks for taking the time to read my project and choosing to pledge your support.