Who are we, and what do we do?
Ground Swell is a non-profit community interest company, set up in 2009 to provide opportunities in surfing to young people aged 11-25yrs. We do this by providing a range of projects, led by young people, in all areas of skills from practical surf coaching through to educational workshops and training, aimed at those participating to finding work in the surf industry. Some examples of this are offering surf coaching from beginner to competitive levels, subsidised transport and accomodation to those wanting to compete on the UKPST, running programs and workshops in PR, marketing, business start-up, volunteering, retail, tourism & leisure, health and well being and much more. We also offer training and qualifications at little to no cost in lifeguarding, surf coaching and judging.
Why are we Crowdfunding
Ground Swell runs solely on donations, sponsorship and grants. Without help, Ground Swell will be unable to provide these opportunities to young people. Therefor, we are asking you to help us.
The money raised will be used to keep Ground Swell going, and to help us provide the following projects and plans through 2014 and beyond:
- Subsidised/Free coaching, at all ability levels, from beginner to competition
- Providing workshops in photography, videography, social media marketing and PR, ICT, CV writing.
- Supporting the UKPST Junior Tour, and providing subsidised transport and accommodation.
- Providing subsidised NARS Beach Lifeguard and ISA Surf Coach Awards
- Setting up an overseas surf camp
- Weekend and after school surf sessions
- Equipment and vital maintenance/repairs
- Other related costs, such as accountancy fees, insurance etc
Our 1600km challenge
As well as Crowdfunding, three Ground Swell users will be taking on the challenge of cycling from Calais, in northern France, to Labenne in the south west, which comes in at just over 1600km! They are doing this to raise awarness of the fundraising, raise extra money through donations/sponsorship and also to set up and promote the location of Ground Swells summer camp.
We are targeting to raise £6000 in total. £4000 of which we hope to raise through Crowdfunding, and the remainder through the sponsored challege!
We hope that you feel this cause is worthy, and with your donations, pledges and sponsorships we can make things happen!
The Ground Swell Team