GRACE (Greenwich Refugee Aid and Community Enterprise) is a small but growing charity embedded in the local community in Lee Green in Lewisham.
The charity is looking to broaden its operations and has recently started to lease a shop in the Leegate shopping centre which
- The shop also act as community hub aimed at vulnerable adults, offering a wide range of innovative services to the local community such as English language training, ante-natal advice, art therapy (e.g. quilt-making for vulnerable women), mentoring, helping a local food bank and community cultural activities. These services would all promote social inclusion.
In order to make this exciting project a success, we are specifically looking for start-up costs of approximately 15 000 pounds to cover the following:
- Decoration of premises, in particular the shop
- Purchase of shop furniture, such as rails and till
- Purchase of warehouse shelving
- Refit of kitchen
- Basic essential plumbing, electrical work and security locks on rear door and fire escape
- Possible purchase of essential furniture
We are a very open organisation and willing to work with a wide range of community stakeholders. We are developing further links with local charities and larger organisations so that no donation goes to waste.
For example we are now the lead charity running the warehousing and distribution of clothing etc in partnership with local charities AFRIL and Lewisham Brighter Beginnings supporting refugees, asylum-seekers and local families in need.