The town of Tewkesbury is blessed with a vibrant school that gives its young people the best possible start. Our students leave us equipped to meet the demands of a fast-changing workplace that requires independent thinking, creativity and collaboration.
Tewkesbury School became an Academy in January 2012, kicking off an exciting new chapter for the School and triggering the first part of an ongoing master plan that continues today.
The School annually has to submit applications for the Education Funding Agency (EfA) Condition Improvement Fund (CIF) in order to do any capital maintenance work on its property.
In 2014/15 the school submitted its first bid to fund the development of a new Design and Technology (DT) block but was unfortunately unsuccessful. The EfA provided the school with some advice on what to do to improve its bid and it was decided to submit the bid again the following year.
The School gained planning consent for a new block in 2015/16, along with undertaking significant condition surveys, obtaining tender submissions from potential builders and utilising the skills of a local architect. The bid was as robust as it could possibly be but once again, we were unsuccessful. The EfA told the school that we would have been better going for a refurbishment of the block despite the advice received the year before.
Therefore, at the beginning of the 2016/17 academic year, we starting working on a bid for the refurbishment of the DT block and as advised submitted it in December 2016.
Now, nearly three years into the process of trying to refurbish the Design Technology block we have finally been successful in securing funding from the EfA having met their criteria.
Our current facilities:
In this increasingly technological world being able to solve, design and make is ever more important. Tewkesbury School provides these skills whether it is in food preparation, designing, electronics or hands on tasks.
Design Technology is a blend between knowledge, core organisational and practical skills. Throughout Key Stage 3, students will experience all the key areas of DT: control, electronics, food, computer and hand-graphics, resistant materials (working in a workshop) and textiles. At Key Stage 4 students can specialise in a discrete area where they can really develop their practical and designing skills. A Level subjects are available in many areas.
Tewkesbury has proven itself again and again as a great place to develop a business. There is a clear strength in manufacturing and a tradition in aerospace and advanced engineering. The town's location, support, investment and lifestyle helps companies to thrive.
We are delighted to announce we have been successful in securing funding from the Education Funding Agency Condition Improvement Fund of £1.3m to refurbish our existing DT block. Tewkesbury School will also have a commitment of £130k to this project.
To give our students the skills and facilities needed to achieve and aspire to be the engineers and designers of tomorrow, we have decided to turn to Crowdfunder.
We have set an initial target of £25,000 to enable us to invest in some brand new, state-of-the-art educational fixtures and fittings, as much of the engineering equipment currently being used here is around 50 years old.
This ambitious campaign has been launched to engage the local community, families and businesses to help improve the facilities in this soon to be refurbished teaching area.
Firstly, it is important to remember that this isn't charity. We're not just asking for donations – we want to give something back too. There are so many ways to help support this Crowdfunder and everyone can play their part. It's important to us that local businesses, families and supporters all work together towards a common goal – the newly refurbished DT block. Everyone involved should get something back for their support.
Look at the rewards above, on the right-hand side of this page. They include:
A massive thank you: a £10 pledge will enter you into our fantastic prize draw and a chance to win one of the amazing prizes including:
- Courtesy of Porsche Centre Tewkesbury: An ultimate Porsche Driving experience in a Porsche of your choice, with lunch for two at their Porsche Experience Centre, Silverstone. (Excluding GT product). porsche.com/silverstone/ Porsche Tewkesbury
- Tetbury Audi are offering a fabulous Audi drive, dream experience. Collect the Audi of your choice on Friday, fully insured, with a full tank of fuel and return on Monday. This voucher expires January 2018. Choice of car is subject to availability from the Demo fleet. This offer does not include the R8 or RS models. The winner must hold a full clean UK driving license and be over 25 years old. The vehicle will need to be collected on a Friday and returned the following Monday. The vehicle must not be taken outside of the UK. Terms and conditions apply, ask Tetbury Audi for further details. Tetbury Audi
- Hatherley Manor offers a three course dinner for two (£52) with a bottle of house wine, an overnight stay in a superior room and full English breakfast. Valid until 11 November 2017. Hatherley Manor
- William Gilders Ltd have kindly offered a beautiful Hamper from Teddington Stores. The Hamper includes: Tewkesbury Mustard, Cotswold Oil, beers brewed in the Cotswolds and also artisan marmalade made in Gloucestershire. Teddington Stores support local farms, producers and suppliers and focus on bringing fine foods from the Cotswolds and beyond. Their coffee shop offers delicious coffee and light meals. The store also hosts an amazing butchers counter offering free range meat and dry aged beef, a florist and lots of lovely produce, including artisan breads and pastries, gourmet cheeses and a great range of wines, ciders and ales. William Gilder Ltd
- Hilton Puckrup: Enjoy a three-course dinner for two, with a bottle of wine in the sumptuous surroundings at Hilton Puckrup. The menu features traditional British cuisine along with dishes from around the world. Hilton Puckrup Hall,Tewkesbury
- Tewkesbury School Luxury Hamper: Items donated by Tewkesbury School Staff and Governors
- Hilton Puckrup: Afternoon Tea for Two. Enjoy one of the United Kingdom's finest traditions, a scrumptious Afternoon Tea, served in our charming Terrace Bar whilst enjoying an unrivalled view of the beautiful golf course and countryside. Choose one of our Afternoon Tea options and indulge in a selection of freshly prepared sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and jam, and beautiful mini cakes. Hilton Puckrup Hall,Tewkesbury
- Churchill Services have kindly donated a brand new Henry Hoover Churchill Services
- Vanilla Hair & Beauty Salon, have very generously donated £100 hair voucher with Rachel Budd at their Salon in Cheltenham.
- Vanilla Hair & Beauty Salon have also kindly offered £35 voucher for Prom or Special Occasion Makeup with Hetty, Beauty Therpaist. Vanilla have many years’ experience, with a minimum of ten years per stylist, to ensure that clients will only ever receive the best hairdressing experience and results every time. Members of the team specialise in all aspects of colouring, wedding and prom hair, Cinderella hair extensions and My New Hair wig cutting. Vanilla Hair & Beauty
Individual Wall of Fame: Pledge £25 and your name will be added to our Wall of Fame in the DT block, plus one entry into our prize draw.
Family Wall of Fame: for £50 your family's names will be added to our Wall of Fame in the DT block, plus one entry into our prize draw.
Business Wall of Fame: for £250 your name and company logo will be added to our business Wall of Fame to be displayed proudly inside the newly refurbished block for everyone to see, plus a one-year bronze subscription to the Tewkesbury School Business Partners initiative and one entry into our prize draw. 15 on offer
Business Wall of Fame+ for £500 your name and company logo to be added to our business Wall of Fame to be displayed proudly inside the newly refurbished block for everyone to see, plus a one-year silver subscription to Tewkesbury School Business Partners initiative, a one-year advertising banner on the School's All Weather Pitch and one entry into our prize draw. 10 on offer
Classroom Sponsor for £1,000 you can have a classroom sponsorship for three years, including a company feature wall. Your name and company logo will go on our business Wall of Fame proudly displayed inside the newly refurbished block for everyone to see, plus a one-year Gold subscription to Tewkesbury School Business Partners, a one-year advertising banner on the School's All Weather Pitch and one entry into our prize draw. 8 on offer
Block Sponsor for £2,500 you can have block sponsorship for three years including a company feature wall. Y our name and company logo will go on our business Wall of Fame proudly displayed inside the newly refurbished block for everyone to see, plus a one-year Gold subscription to Tewkesbury School Business Partners, a one-year advertising banner on the School's All Weather Pitch and one entry into our prize draw. 1 on offer
You are invited to attend the draw which will take place at Tewkesbury School on Monday 17 July, 2017 at 4:00 pm. All lucky winners will be contacted after the event. Please note when pledging, we are unable to enter any anonymous donations into the prize draw.
We want local businesses to get involved with our Crowdfunder and benefit from all the exposure that comes with it. We also invite you to take advantage of the prominent advertising space at the School. Check out our business options or get in touch with us to discuss different options.
Alternatively, some businesses may chose to donate a specific item of DT equipment as part of their Coporate Social Responsibility Scheme. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the full wish list. Thank you.