Cardboard Citizens is the first point of call for over a thousand people every year – young people and adults who have nowhere to turn, no place to go, no bed to sleep in, abandoned by society and in desperate need of our help and support.
-------> **Update** due to the fact that we are experiencing an unprecedented number of individuals coming to us in crisis with nowhere to sleep that night we have added the additional reward level of £60, which could provide emergency shelter - keeping someone off the streets in this freezing weather. <-------
For 25 years our pioneering and creative approach has supported some of society's most disadvantaged and neglected. We provide a safe and rewarding environment that encourages those affected by homelessness to reinvest themselves and begin a journey of self-discovery.
How do we do it?
- Youth Programme for 16-25 year olds affected or displaced by homelessness, reaching over 400 every year – providing access to qualifications, advice and training to support young people out of homelessness.
- National programme of outreach work targeting young offender units, prisons, hostels and day centres – to share our model of best practice nationally ensuring we reach those most in need of help and support.
- Regular programme of touring and performances, performed by people with experience of homelessness, which challenges negative perceptions and images, using the stage as a vehicle to share stories and drive social change.
- Dedicated Support Network providing guidance from highly trained workers for all young people and adults – a critical area of work for those with significant support needs such as medical, family and mental health.
- Education and Mentoring in a wide range of subjects via a programme of courses and workshops – training in areas such as English and Maths to enable positive growth into stable and productive futures.
Why do we need your help?
We believe every person affected by homelessness should be given a chance to lead a fulfilling and dignified life. But with reports highlighting a significant increase in recent years, and the risk of homelessness on a scale we’ve never seen previously, our role in helping those to help themselves has never been more important. In the past five years alone homelessness has risen by 55% in England – affecting young people and adults from every conceivable background – people forced into living on the fringes of society and without anywhere to turn.
Don't just listen to us, hear legendary actor David Morrissey speaking at our recent event after seeing our current show Cathy: https://youtu.be/YOB8hCpRadw
How will we spend your money?
Your Christmas gift will help transform the lives of those affected by homelessness. Our beneficiaries don't want a hand out, but to be given a chance to re-build their life, to learn new skills, the confidence to believe in themselves, to have hope and aspirations for a brighter future. Your support will ensure we can continue to provide one-to-one advice sessions, creative workshops and help with employability.
Cardboard Citizens demonstrates the vital importance of the arts in rebuilding our society – please give your support and be part of our journey.