New stretch target
Any extra funding not used in this year's project will be put straight into the future of projects like New Voices!
The Bristol New Voices blog will be updated on a regular basis, telling backers exactly where their money is going and who it is helping. Rest assured, not a penny will go to waste!
New Voices was born from the desire to provide inner city young people in Bristol with free access to the Performing Arts. A group of third year Bristol University students decided it was time to connect the university with the local community, and so New Voices was born in conjunction with a school in Lawrence Hill- the poorest electoral ward in the South West region.
Over one school term, ten year 7 students will be given the opportunity to participate in free, weekly after-school drama workshops, alongside 10 volunteer mentors from the University of Bristol. Along with a specially commissioned playwright, the children and their mentors will develop a show which will be performed at the end of the term at one of the city’s major theatres. The show will be free to attend, and donations will be collected to help fund the future of the project.
- Engage young people in a challenging, stimulating form of active learning
- Challenge perceptions and preconceptions
- Empower through personal experience of success
- Inspire raised aspirations and expectations
- Connect with positive role models and with each other
Why we need your help!
The money you pledge to New Voices will enable us to:
- Hire a professional theatre and half term rehearsal spaces ;
- Source professional costumes, set and lighting for the final performance ;
- Print programmes, posters and flyers for the show ;
- Specially commission a playwright to write our final show.
Everyone involved in New Voices will be involved on a volunteer basis. Our student mentors and all the team are giving their time for free to get this project up and running. All donations will go directly to funding the project itself, and providing the children involved with the most rewarding and fulfilling experience possible.
The final show will be free of charge to make sure that anyone who wants to come can come, regardless of their financial situation.
To read more about the project and how your donations will help, visit our website/blog: bristolnewvoices.wordpress.com