Please note – What’s Your Idea? is no longer taking applications. Keep an eye out on our Facebook page for any upcoming competitions!
Are you launching a business in 2018? Looking to drive social or environmental impact to a community? Or maybe you’re working on a project to keep your local beach free of plastic pollution? Well, we’re about to launch a crowdfunding competition like no other – and we want you to be a part of it.
Delivered in partnership with GoDaddy, What’s Your Idea? will kick off on 5th February and we are on the hunt for the most innovative and impactful ideas of 2018 to join in and have the chance of winning £1,000. Ideas have the unique potential to change the world, so let’s get your great idea off the ground!
Register your interest here.
A little bit of history
With up to 100 winners being in with the chance of winning a £1k share of £100k in the space of just two weeks, we know that the endeavour may seem a little crazy. However, the process has been tried and tested in our previous competitions with partners such as Virgin, GoDaddy and Propel by Deloitte – and there’s no better way to start a new year than with a challenge, right?
The bottom line is that we believe more ideas, the ideas that have the incredible potential to bring about a new way of seeing or doing things, need to be a reality.
Where are they now?
• Sam from Gipsy Hill Brewery said, “The £1k win was really fantastic for us. Along with the money that we raised through crowdfunding, we now have the ability to build a fully accessible taproom site that everyone can enjoy. Crowdfunding changed the nature of our project. Before, we were looking at a low cost, thrown together installation that would have accessibility limitations. However, with the new approach, we’re now able to build a site that we can fully share with our community, in a way that we never considered possible before.”
• Ed from Bird Sunglasses, said, “Crowdfunder was a great way to launch Bird Sunglasses. We got lots of people talking about us as a new brand and were even featured in Forbes & The Mirror off the back of it. Our ‘flock’ of supporters has grown massively since and we finished our first year on a high by coming 2nd out of 2000 entries in the National Santander Entrepreneurship Awards 2017.”
• Joeli from Pregnant Then Screwed said, “Since our successful crowdfunding campaign last year, we have achieved an enormous amount. We have supported 450 women who have experienced pregnancy or maternity discrimination. We have 86,000 signatures on our petitions to change the law to protect women from discrimination and on the 31st October we organised a major demonstration in 6 cities across the UK demanding change. The demonstration was raised in the Prime Minister’s questions, was attended by over 1,000 people and was covered in local national and international media. The money raised also gave us the time and headspace we needed to give the campaign future stability.”
• Josh from Norwich FoodHub said, “Crowdfunding and our £1k win has helped us massively! In 2017 we saved 20 tonnes of food destined for the bin. In 2018, we are now looking to move into a new HQ where we can save even more food. The Crowdfunder grant gave us the springboard we needed to make that all happen.”
Tell me more!
What’s Your Idea? will run over eight different days – each with its own theme – meaning that there is plenty of opportunity to get involved.
- Food & Drink – 5th February – This one is always a hit! We’ll be on the hunt for the yummiest ideas out there.
- Female entrepreneurs – 7th February – Female entrepreneurs… we want to hear your ideas!
- Exporting – 12th February – The ideas and businesses that know that borders aren’t blockers.
- Royal Wedding – 15th February – We want to know your plans for the big event!
- Confident communities – 19th February – The ideas that support and unite local communities.
- Startup – 21st February – Are you launching a business in 2018?
- Students – 23rd February – We want to know what the next generation has in store for the future.
And how exactly do you apply for the competition?
For your idea to be in with a chance of winning £1,000, we ask that you submit your entry over on our Facebook page on the specific post allocated for that day in the form of 100 words or less. If you want to receive notification of when your day is coming up, then be sure to register your interest here. The winning ideas will then be notified at midday on the following day.
So, all you have to do is tell us what your idea is on the right day on Facebook, and you’re in!
If you are one of the winners, you will then need to also raise money through crowdfunding in order to unlock the winning pledge from the partner. By following this process, the competition will not only help you to raise the money that you need to make your idea happen, but you will also be able to build your following and work with relevant partners in your industry. And that’s not all. We’ll coach you through the crowdfunding process with bespoke guidance from our inhouse experts!
Interested? Get in touch!
We know that some of you will be bursting with ideas, so if you want to be in the loop, then register your interest here. We’ll then give you a nudge when it’s your turn to get involved.
Let’s make your idea happen in 2018.