Who are we?
Falmouth Gig Club is a friendly and inclusive rowing club for people in Falmouth, Cornwall and the wider community. The Club has a diverse membership of over 100 people, from those who wish to compete at the very highest level to those who prefer to take part in a leisurely row up the river for picnic on the beach. Cornish Pilot Gig racing is a rapidly growing sport across the south west and Falmouth Gig Club has been consistently successful in what is a highly competitive racing circuit. Falmouth Gig Club is particularly proud of its Men, Women and Super Vet Women crews who are the current World Champions having successfully defended their titles this year at the 2014 World Championships in the Isles of Scilly.
What is the project?
The Cornish Pilot Gig is a traditional wooden craft powered by six rowers using wooden oars and steered by a coxswain. The Club has worked hard to establish and maintain a fleet of six boats but is now (quite literally) up a creek with out a paddle! This crowdfunding project will enable the Club to buy a new set of oars and make full use boats to the benefit of its existing membership, future rowers and the local community. The oars will be made by specialist craftsmen using traditional materials and skills and will be used daily for years to come.
What will the project achieve?
The new set of oars will help Falmouth to sustain and extend a range of activities including:
- on the water training and racing for junior club members
- weekly drop in sessions for newcomers and novices all year round
- structured sessions tailored to the needs of students attending the nearby University
- social, technical and fitness rowing outings for club members with a summer evening racing circuit
- intensive training and competitive racing across the south west for squad members
Help us share the sport of gig rowing with even more people and support the next generation of World Champions.
Please make a donation.